One of the best tricks to put you into the mood for writing is listening to music. This works particularly well when you’re writing fantasy or science fiction and you put on some epic music that takes you into a different world. You can find some stunning pieces on YouTube, simply by doing a search for cinematic instrumental music, or something like that.
I find that movie soundtracks work really for me. Here are some of my favorites, including the names of their composers:
- Prince Caspian (The Chronicles of Narnia) by Harry Gregson-Williams
- Pillars of the Earth by Trevor Morris
- Remember the Titans by Trevor Rabin (Must be something in the name Trevor)
- Just about anything by Hans Zimmer
- Most of the Marvel movies (Avengers, The Winter Soldier, Thor: The Dark World, and others)
- How to Train Your Dragon by John Powell
There is also an album called Battlecry, which has some of the most breathtaking music ever. Ever. Go listen. Right now.